Safari: Packing list for your adventure in Southern Africa
Our safari packing list gives you an overview of the things you should bring with you to Southern Africa. Learn more
Our Natucate safaris give you the chance to immerse yourself into Africa’s wilderness in an incomparable way and to explore this unique environment and its rich wildlife at close quarters. No matter which of our Natucate safaris you would like to join – the right equipment is essential!
Safari clothing – general notes
We recommend comfortable clothing – even in upscale lodges you can dress casual. Due to the strong temperature fluctuations you have to be adjusted to heat and cold in all seasons. At night and in the early morning hours it is cool. Therefore, a warm outfit is suitable for these times. Keep in mind that your clothes should be in dull colours (khaki, beige, grey), please avoid white or bright colours!
At the same time, you need a head cover for the noon hours to protect yourself from the strong sunshine. Also note that the baggage weight may not exceed 20 kg per person and soft bags are requested for easy storage in light aircrafts.
Hand baggage for your Africa trip
A day pack of approx. 20 litres is a perfect hand luggage option for a safari. It is particularly handy when going on a game walk. For Walking Safaris a larger day pack (approx. 30 litres) is advisable.
- Head cover / cap
- In the winter months: wool scarf, gloves, wool cap, wool socks, fleece
- 5-7 T-shirts / shirts
- 1-2 Pullover(s)
- 1 Light jacket (rain- and windproof)
- 1 Pair of light hiking shoes / sneakers (the important thing is that they are worn in and tolerate some water)
- 1 Pair of sandals
- 2 Shorts and 2 trousers
- 1 Pyjama
- Underwear and socks
- We recommend contact lens carriers to bring along a pair of glasses in addition, as the dust can cause problems.
- Tooth brush / tooth paste
- Shower gel
- Body lotion
- Hair brush
- Manicure kit
- If necessary: Contact lenses plus equipment
- Handkerchiefs and wipes
- Feminine hygiene products
- Passport, flight tickets / booking documents, money, credit card, visa(s), cell phone, insurance details, vaccination record, important contact details, copies of all essential documents etc.
- Extra batteries
- Charging devices
- Alarm clock
- Ziploc bags
- Refillable drinking bottle
Travel pharmacy during your safari
In order to be prepared for lighter illnesses and minor emergencies, we recommend taking a travel pharmacy with you. It should include the following items:
- Travel sickness
- Pain (back pain, headache etc.)
And don’t forget
- Wound disinfectant
- Insect repellents and sunscreen
- Ointment for insect bites or other skin irritations
- Fever medical thermometer
- Malaria care (please discuss this with your doctor as well as your current vaccination status)
Of course, you may need medication that you must take all the time!
Other useful items for your safari
- Travel diary
- Paper + pencil
- Pocket mirror
- Pocket knife
Take part in our nine-day private safari in Zambia and let Kafue National Park's breathtaking wildlife and magnificent scenery enchant you
Enjoy a luxurious camping safari in Zambia and experience nature and wildlife of fascinating Luambe, South Luangwa and Lower Zambezi National Park
Discover the pristine nature and awe-inspiring wildlife along Zambia's Luangwa River when joining our nine-day private camping safari
As part of this four-day safari trip you roam Botswana's fascinating Okavango Delta on foot and in the mokoro and, in this way, get especially close to this extraordinary place
Roam the green depths of Botswana's Okavango Delta on foot, in the mokoro or by off-road vehicle and experience a 14-day safari trip full of adventure, wilderness and natural history
Our six-day safari adventure in magnificent Botswana brings you especially close to the breathtaking nature of the largest inland delta in the world: the Okavango Delta