Field Guide Level 1 South Africa – Niklas
Niklas took part in our Field Guide Level 1 course amidst South Africa's magnificent wilderness which he successfully passed. In the following feedback interview you can learn more abut his time.
Project: Field Guide Level 1 course in South Africa
Locations: Selati and Karongwe in South Africa
Duration: Beginning of April until end of May 2019 – 55 days
Support from the Natucate team:
Field Guide Level 1 course in South Africa – Feedback: Seven questions for Niklas
1) Could you give us a brief overview of your activities in the course?
In the Field Guide Level 1 course you are living in unfenced camps and are trained to be a safari guide. Every day there are walks and drives through the bush; at the end of the course there is a final exam.
2) What were the biggest challenges for you during the course?
The biggest challenge was to learn the many different birds and their calls.
3) Was there something you liked most? Or something you remember particularly negatively?
I especially liked the relaxed atmosphere in the camps.
4) Did you have certain expectations before you travelled to the course?
I had the expectation of having an extraordinary experience. This expectation was fulfilled, if not exceeded.
5) Have you done anything in your free time that you can recommend to future participants?
Just relax and make sure you get enough sleep. The nights are very short and often quite an experience themselves, which is why it is sometimes difficult to find sleep.
6) What tips would you give to other participants?
A powerbank, ideally solar powered, is extremely helpful!
7) Can you estimate how many additional costs you had on site?
In South Africa I spent about 4000 Rand.
Spend an unparalleled year amidst Africa's wild nature and get trained as a Professional Field Guide
Acquire the basics of Southern Africa's nature, in theory and in practice, and become a Safari Guide