Trails Guide South Africa – Carina
Carina successfully passed our Trails Guide course amidst the breathtaking wilderness of South Africa. In her feedback interview you can learn more about her wilderness adventure.
Project: Trails Guide course in South Africa
Locations: Selati and Pridelands in South Africa
Duration: Beginning of May until June 2019 – 4 Wochen
Support from the Natucate team:
Trails Guide course in South Africa – Feedback: Eight questions for Carina
1) Could you give us a brief overview of your activities in the course?
Unlike the Field Guide Level 1 course, the Trails Guide is designed for walking in the bush. Of course, there is also a lot of theory about dangerous game as well as the safety and handling of the weapon, which you can work on yourself during the course. Walking is a lot of fun and makes you fit while you are in beautiful nature.
2) What was the biggest challenge for you during the course?
Knowing that the course is over after four weeks ☹
3) Was there something you liked most? Or something you remember particularly negatively?
I loved the group size! We were four people plus instructor and one or two back-ups.
4) Did you have certain expectations before travelling to the course? If so, have your expectations been met, disappointed or perhaps exceeded?
My expectations were definitely met. We had some difficulties to find enough "encounters" but that's the way it is in nature.
5) Have you done anything in your free time that you can recommend to future participants?
To immerse yourself into the bush with all your senses :)
6) What recommendations would you give to other participants?
Clarify everything about the shooting beforehand. You need the ARH certificate (AHR = Advanced Rifle Handling) before you can take the practical exam. It is best to do it during the course and not before, if you have never shot before. It generally takes some practice that you can get through the drills in the course.
7) Can you estimate how many additional costs you had on site?
About 400 Rand for drinks and snacks. But I am generally rather sparing. ;)
8) Here is still room for other suggestions or stories from you:
Doing the ARH beforehand only makes sense if you can safely handle the rifle. Perhaps this should be underlined and made very clear beforehand. Everything else is great! :D Thank you very much for the great support and the smooth running!
Discover the African wilderness, learn how vital safety is in the bush and become a Trails Guide
Live and learn amidst Southern Africa's wild nature for 55 days – and become a Field Guide Level 1
Get trained as a certified Field Guide, surrounded by the Okavango Delta's breathtaking nature
Discover the Okavango Delta's wilderness by foot and experience a high-quality Trails Guide training
Spend an unparalleled year amidst Africa's wild nature and get trained as a Professional Field Guide
You are a "safari newcomer"? Then gather unique insights into Southern Africa's nature and wildlife