Field Guide Level 1 South Africa – Marco
Surrounded by Africa's fascinating wilderness, Marco enjoyed an incomparable training as Field Guide Level 1. In his feedback interviews he gives more details
Project: Field Guide Level 1 in South Africa
Locations: Pridelands and Selati
Duration: Mid-July until beginning of September 2019 – 55 days
Support from the Natucate team:
Field Guide Level 1 – Feedback: Eight questions for Marco
1) Could you give us a short overview of your activities in the course?
FGASA Field Guide Level 1 Course. Living and learning in nature.
2) What were the biggest challenges for you during the course?
The division of the learning material, the preparation of the workbook, the remaining time for learning. You want to enjoy the time and therefore need to find a healthy balance between studying and relaxing in order to be not too stressed.
3) Was there anything you liked in particular? Or something that you remember particularly negatively?
I really enjoyed the entire course and it was a life-enhancing experience for me. So many new impressions and adventures that you would never really experience otherwise. I do not have any negative memories!
4) Did you have certain expectations before you travelled to the course?
My expectation was to spend 2 months in nature and wilderness and to learn a lot about wild animals and to observe them...this was definitely fulfilled :)
5) Have you done anything in your free time that you can recommend to future participants?
During the course there was always only one day off per week, which was often used to prepare the workbook. If you needed something from the city (e.g. new pens, pads), you could also go to the city on those days...but you couldn't really do anything because you weren't mobile either.
6) What tips would you give other participants?
The amount of learning material should not be underestimated.
7) Can you estimate how many additional costs you had on site?
Depends on the consumption of soft drinks and beer :) I think I needed about 10-15 Euro per week on average.
8) Here is still space for other suggestions or reports from you:
Spending 2 months in the bush was an incredible experience and it was fun to spend so much time in nature – no day is like the other. You get a completely different feeling for the things that are important to you and you experience things that you would not have dreamed of in "normal" life. The time and the course have enriched my personal attitude towards nature and wildlife and showed me that there are also simple things that can make me and other people happy. I am very grateful for this experience!
Spend an unparalleled year amidst Africa's wild nature and get trained as a Professional Field Guide
Explore the wild depths of South African KwaZulu-Natal and become a FGASA accredited Apprentice Field Guide