Volunteering New Zealand – Nancy and Stefan
Nancy and Stefan travelled to New Zealand together to help protect the country's pristine nature as conservation volunteers. Learn more about their time.
Name: Nancy and Stefan
Age: 29 and 31
Project: Nature conservation in New Zealand
Locations: Christchurch and Punakaiki
Duration: Beginning until end of January 2020 – 3 weeks
Support from the Natucate team:
Volunteering in New Zealand – Feedback: Eight questions for Nancy and Stefan
1) Could you give us a short overview about your tasks during the project?
During the project, we planted lots of new trees and seedlings. Furthermore, we went on a rainforest hike in order to get to know New Zealand’s flora and fauna.
2) What were your biggest challenges during the project?
There were hardly any challenges. The tasks were well split amongst the group.
3) Was there anything you liked most? Or anything that left you with a negative impression?
We really liked the fact that we were able to give something back to nature and Mother Earth. Working in such beautiful landscapes was absolutely amazing. While planting new trees, some wekas even decided to support us ;) There was nothing negative at all. We think the house in Christchurch with its little garden is very nice. We also enjoyed the ride across the pass to Punakaiki – simply fantastic.
4) Did you have certain expectations before you started the project?
We didn’t have extraordinary expectations that’s why we were absolutely happy.
5) Did you do anything during your free time that you can recommend to following participants?
If you are based in Christchurch you should make sure to visit the Wildlife Park, it’s really beautiful. In Punakaiki you should not miss a visit to the iconic Pancake Rocks and have a nice walk at the beach.
6) Which recommendations would you give to other participants?
Pack enough mosquito spray and some cream / lotion in case you get bitten.
7) Can you guess how many additional expenses you had?
On the weekend before the project started, we had rented a car to discover some places near Christchurch and to visit the Wildlife Park. Both of us together paid around 200 NZ Dollar. Otherwise, we made sure to save some money and not to be picky.
8) Here is some space for further stories or ideas:
The project is just wonderful!
As a volunteer in New Zealand you become involved in protecting the country's unique flora and fauna