Volunteering New Zealand – Allene
You'd like to become a conservation volunteer? Learn more about Allene's experiences as a volunteer in our project in awe-inspiring New Zealand.
Project: Nature conservation in New Zealand
Locations: Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch
Duration: Beginning of September until mid-October 2019 – 6 weeks
Support from the Natucate team:
Volunteering in New Zealand – Feedback: Six questions for Allene
1) What were your biggest challenges during the project?
Every project site I worked with was different. Overall, there were very few challenges.
2) Was there anything you liked most? Or anything that left you with a negative impression?
I enjoyed meeting other volunteers and getting to see places that were unlikely for me to have gone to as a tourist.
3) Did you have certain expectations before you started the project?
The places we stayed at and worked at were above my expectations.
4) Did you do anything during your free time that you can recommend to following participants?
I really liked how I had a couple weeks off in between projects because that gave me plenty of time to explore. So I recommend doing that, rather than going from one project straight to another.
5) Which recommendations would you give to other participants?
Always wear layers to work, sunglasses and a hat. Also, when packing, be prepared for all climates.
6) Can you guess how many additional expenses you had?
Participants will definitely spend money on city transportation after work and on the weekends. This adds up quickly.
As a volunteer in New Zealand you become involved in protecting the country's unique flora and fauna
Become part of a conservation programme which is dedicated to preserving Mauritius' pristine biodiversity – on- and offshore
Become a volunteer in the USA and play an active role in conserving the Golden Coast's unique nature