Project: Species Conservation in the Seychelles
Location: North Island/Seychelles
Duration: Mid-July until Mid-August 2018 – 4 weeks
Support from NATUCATE: ★ ★ ★ ★ ✫
Arrival: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Project Partner: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Accommodation: ★ ★ ★ ✫ ☆
1) Could you give us a short overview of your activities/tasks in the project?
We did beach patrols looking for turtle nests, vegetation/landscaping, snorkelling with the camera, recording tortoises.
2) What were your biggest challenges during the project?
My biggest challenge was living with mosquitos.
3) Was there anything that you liked most? Or anything that left you with a negative impression?
I mostly loved the views, anywhere I looked, it was beautiful.
4) Did you have certain expectations before you started the project? If yes, did the project meet your expectations, disappoint or maybe even exceed them?
I was expecting a lot more or demanding work but it was actually quite easy.
5) Did you do anything during your free time that you can recommend to other participants?
We hiked up the hills for amazing views, we have learned to make bracelets and made one for almost all people working on the island. We also did some workout on the beach before dinner.
6) Which tips/recommendations would you give to other participants who would like to do this project? (e.g. tips that would have helped you before your journey)
My recommendation for all future volunteers: take some seasickness medicine for the boat rides.
7) Can you guess how many additional expenses you had? – We can give this information to future participants.
I have spent some 150 EUR for me and my daughter Diana who also took part in the project. Mainly for beer, toothpaste, soft drinks. These are not expensive.