Volunteering USA California Nature Conservation – Sebastian
Volunteering USA: Sebastian went to the beautiful US West Coast with us to help protect California's pristine natural landscapes. In his feedback interview he reveals more about his time
Project: Nature Conservation in California/USA
Locations: Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, Saddle Mountain (Base Camp)
Duration: End of June until end of August 2019 – 8 weeks
Support from the Natucate-Team:
Volunteering in the USA – Feedback: Seven questions for Sebastian
1) Could you give us a brief overview of your tasks in the project?
In Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park we built wooden staircases at the Boy Scout Tree Trail. In the Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park became involved in vegetation work on a closed hiking trail and repaired it. This trail is to be reopened soon.
2) What were the biggest challenges for you during the project?
Getting used to a completely new environment and travelling alone. I haven't done anything like this before. The physical work was no problem for me.
3) Was there something you liked most? Or something you remember particularly negatively?
The project on California’s north coast was fantastic, all of us had a really great time. I don't remember anything particularly negative.
4) Did you have certain expectations before you travelled to the project?
I was hoping to experience the great natural areas of the US West Coast. These expectations were exceeded in any case.
5) Have you done anything in your free time that you can recommend to future participants?
Yes, absolutely! I spent my free time in San Francisco, in Sequoia National Park, in Las Vegas, at the Grand Canyon, in Yosemite National Park, at Lake Tahoe, in Los Angeles and in the Silicon Valley. All of these places were absolutely outstanding. To my mind, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Lake Tahoe were particularly great.
6) What recommendations would you give to other participants?
If you are planning to drive to big national parks like the Grand Canyon or Yosemite, you should make sure that you get there early in the morning. Especially in summer these places are quite crowded and it is difficult to get a parking lot.
7) Can you estimate how many additional costs you had on site?
Since I travelled a lot and the food in California is not very cheap, I think I spent about $1,000 - $1,300 during my 8-week stay.