Volunteering Seychelles North Island – Nancy 2
Nancy returned to beautiful North Island in the Seychelles to help protect pristine natural areas and endangered sea turtles as a volunteer. Here you can learn more about her time in paradise.
Project: Species Conservation on North Island/Seychelles
Locations: North Island/Seychelles
Duration: End of April until beginning of May 2019 – 2 weeks
Support from the Natucate team:
Volunteering in the Seychelles – Feedback: Eight questions for Nancy
1) Could you give us a brief overview of your tasks in the project?
- Beach patrols during the day and at night
- Behavioural observation of giant tortoises
- Planting new vegetation
- Snorkeling – data entry
- Feeding baby turtles
- Cleaning jobs
2) What was the biggest challenge for you during the project?
Centipede and the journey home =/
3) Was there something you liked most? Or something you remember particularly negatively?
North Island is a place to be. Immediately after my friend Peggy and I had joined the project for the first time, we knew that this was not our last stay on this wonderful island. North Island has beautiful beaches, pure nature, turtles on land and in the water, a colourful underwater world, hiking trails and lovely inhabitants. What more could you ask for? This year we finally got the chance to accompany baby turtles (Hawksbill Turtle and Green Turtle) to the water. An indescribable and unforgettable experience. The volunteer uniform could be nicer – but that's a high level of whining.
4) Did you have certain expectations before travelling to the project?
Once again, my expectations were exceeded. We enjoyed the time very much, especially the support from Angelin.
5) Have you done anything in your free time that you can recommend to future participants?
To me, the island’s hiking trails are a must. Furthermore, the staff beach is a great place to relax. The sunrise and sunset at the Spa Hill Hiking Trail is a highlight. The Honeymoon Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen so far – maybe you will be lucky and have the opportunity to watch the sunset there.
6) What recommendations would you give to other participants?
Don’t forget to bring:
- mosquito spray
- little own clothing
- many SD cards
7) Can you estimate how many additional costs you had on site?
I had no further expenses on the island except for jewellery as souvenirs from the island shop.
8) Here is still room for other suggestions or stories from you:
Every day on the island is a gift!!!
Help preserve the Seychelles' pristine marine life and island flora as a volunteer on North Island
Travel to the Seychelles and become active in nature and species conservation on Cousin Island
Join our volunteer project in Costa Rica and contribute to the survival of endangered sea turtles
Join a project which involves conservation of the wilderness and protection of endangered wildlife
Dedicate yourself to the protection of the Asian Elephant and endangered carnivores in Sri Lanka
Make a contribution to species conservation and help protect vulnerable whale sharks in the Maldives