Volunteering Costa Rica – Latifa
Volunteer Latifa spent 2 weeks in Costa Rica to help protect and conserve endangered sea turtles. Learn more about her wonderful time in Central America.
Project: Turtle conservation in Costa Rica
Location: Pacuare in Costa Rica
Duration: End of September until beginning of October 2019 – 2 weeks
Support from the Natucate-Team:
Volunteering in Costa Rica – Feedback: Six questions for Latifa
1) Could you give us a brief overview of your activities in the project?
We both worked in the hatchery and went on night patrols. In the hatchery we checked the nests every 15 minutes to see if little turtles had hatched. If so, we then measured, weighed and counted them. The team was assembled to release the babies into the ocean together.
2) Was there something you liked most? Or something you remember particularly negatively?
I really liked the peace and tranquility there. Time didn't matter – you are so very isolated and might get the impression that time stands still. The guard dogs there are also great and I really enjoyed playing with them.
3) Did you have certain expectations before you travelled to the project?
My expectations were exceeded. I had two wonderful weeks. It's a magical feeling to see the baby turtles hatch. I've never seen anything so wonderful before.
4) Have you done anything in your free time that you can recommend to future participants?
In my spare time I read a lot, played volleyball with the other volunteers and locals and simply explored nature and the beautiful stars.
5) What recommendations would you give to other participants?
Unfortunately, I lacked a good infrared headlamp, but otherwise you are given everything you need on site.
6) Can you estimate how many additional costs you had on site?
Not really, as there are basically no shopping options. Once a week there is a market where you can buy jewellery and other small things. Once a week, an employee of the project offers a boat tour through the mangrove forest for 15 dollars.
Make a contribution to species conservation and help protect vulnerable whale sharks in the Maldives
Volunteer in Southwest Europe, help protect and conserve the Iberian wolf and discover Portugal's natural diversity