Project: Volunteering: Protection of Namibia's Desert Elephants
Duration: Beginning of February until beginning of March 2018 – 4 weeks
Support from NATUCATE-Team: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Arrival: ★ ★ ★ ★ ✫
Project partner: ★ ★ ★ ★ ✫
Accommodation: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
1) Could you give us a short overview of your activities/tasks in the project?
In the first week, our task as volunteers was to build a wall as a protection measure around a water tank. At 7 AM, after breakfast, work started – with coffee, tea and lunch breaks until dinner. In the second week we had to track elephants and other animals, find them and collect data before we enjoyed the evenings sitting around the campfire surrounded by the wild.
2) What were your biggest challenges during the project?
The biggest challenge was to relinquish electricity, toilets and showering for a week in the desert heat – but in the end it was no problem at all!
3) Was there anything that you liked most? Or anything that left you with a negative impression?
The diversity of the project was perfect! After doing some hard work during the first week we were rewarded with a nice shower and observing elephant herds in the wild even if the trips were very hard sometimes. The whole team made the trip very funny and wonderful. Sunsets and sleep-outs right under the star-spangled sky are an unforgettable experience.
4) Did you have certain expectations before you started the project? If yes, did the project meet your expectations, disappoint or maybe even exceed them?
I knew that it was going to be exhausting, simple and a pure adventure and my expectations have been exceeded. Delicious and diverse food (except for the porridge in the mornings), a beautiful camp and great people in the team.
5) Did you do anything during your free time that you can recommend to following participants?
I connected the project with a journey to Cape Town afterwards and I recommend everyone interested to do trips before or after the project or during the weekend.
6) Which tips/recommendations would you give to other participants who would like to do this project? (e.g. tips that would have helped you before your journey)
This project really does its job and benefits the locals. If you prefer seeing wild animals, relaxing or listening to loud music all day, you probably should do a safari or a real vacation. For someone who really is interested in nature, values it, works and wants to observe elephants in the wild, this project is the right thing.
7) Can you guess how many additional expenses you had? – We can give this information to following participants
I think approx. 300 euros (for 4 weeks).